the West Indies
$12.95

Another container soon to be enroute Dubois Foundation

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Another container soon to be enroute Dubois Foundation

Postby Canuks » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:17 pm

I just Received this from Rummrunner from John Dubois:

The next can will be for the hurricane victims in PINAR DEL RIO Province, which suffered the double barrel effects of Gustaf as a category 5 hurricane, and then were buffeted and practically drowned by hurricane Ike.

The situation in that province is very grave, with whole villages almost completely destroyed, and the area's hospital seriously damaged.

The situation on the ground in Cuba is so critical that we are considering loading another container next weekend, if we can get the needed support from our wonderful and generous volunteers, as well as me being able to logistically organize the necessary bits and pieces required to make it happen.

Marion and i were greatly inspired by the marvellous show of support and hard work at the container loading yesterday. 39 persons participated in this task, and everyone that had commited to attend, (and more), showed up, from near and far, (in spite of the most recent price of gasoline).

Incredible commitment!. From that Oshawa man who could barely get around, but brought a full cube van and his wonderful family, the couple from Perth who rented a van to bring their great donations, the folks from Cobourg who had to get up earlier than i go to bed , in order to pick up donations from someone who had made her apartment available as a collection center, and still get here in good time. To June who fed all of us,after the packing, to the lady from Newmarket who worked incessantly to get us all those sheets and towels, to all the others who so unselfisfly gave up their Saturday to help make a difference in some people's lives; people that they have never met and likely never will.

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!J-L D

We expect to be able to make a decision on next week end's endeavour as early as monday night. We would appreciate feed back from those that might or might not be available next saturday or Sunday, as soon as possible. Joe please post on website, Rumrunner post as you see fit

http://www.duboischaritablefoundation.com/
The Dubois Charitable Foundation
686681 Hwy #2
RR#1 Princeton, Ontario N0J 1V0

admin@duboischaritablefoundation.com

For Donations: they can be deposited directly to the Foundation's account at :
Bank Name: CIBC
Transit No: 04752
Account No: 6101712
Account Name: Dubois Charitable Foundation
Receipts for tax purposes are issued for amounts greater than $25.
Canuks

good news for victums

Postby Canuks » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:18 pm

People have asked how the relief is going - these were items from Container #50 ......

"We had requested that some of the goods on the container we did Aug 16 be redirected to Hurricane Relief...we heard today that that did occure
"Here is the note From John....
Hi all;
"Happy to report that, i just received an email from our contact at the Ministry of Public Health in Havana Cuba, this morning, advising us that the first instalment of our hurricane relief materials sent (120 boxes of clothing, shoes, hygiene, and personal care products, actually rerouted from a container in transit) to the townspeople of "los Palacios" in Pinar del Rio province, arrived there yesterday. This town was one of two that had been almost totally destroyed by hurricane Gustaf 2 and 1/2 weeks ago."
Canuks

Postby Bigjohn » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:04 am

Thanks for posting this Canuks. I won't be there this time, Darned work.
It feels good to help, I feel bad when I can't. I might take a box of bedding out before Saturday.
Bigjohn
Bigjohn

Postby Canuks » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:28 pm

Great Day - Wonderful time - another container en route - this one to Pinar del Rio
Canuks

Return to Cuba Travel Forum