Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

The Obama Factor - Impact on Cuba Tourism

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Postby islandman1509 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:43 am

I am believing the short term impact of the new president will have some imnpact on US tourism in Cuba, but the long term is still in question. Any thoughts?
islandman1509

Postby Bigjohn » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:08 am

I don't think the new Pres will have much impact on the current situation. Maybe remittances and visits to family, but no exit visas granted for vacations.

Not until there are changes, real changes, at the corresponding level in Cuba will there be an erasing of the embargo.

islandman1509: what do you think the short term changes will be? And what is the timeframe for short term?
Bigjohn

Postby islandman1509 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:22 am

BigJohn,

My thoughts on short term is the first year of the presidency. I agree completely that for significant change to occur there will be needed changes from both sides. I do believe, in addition to greater freedom for family members, Obama will expand the people-to-people exchange policy initiated by the Clinton administration, and all but eliminated under the Bush administration. The number of academics, church groups, students and other groups without commercial purpose travelling to Cuba would increase dramatically. Not exactly a vacation, but an avenue for many to find a way to get there. I know I would try to color myself an academic to make the trip.
In addition the Caribbean countries as a unified group are encouraging Obama to loosen things up for Cuba.
It is a subject I will be watching closely.
islandman1509

Up to us what Obama does

Postby jfmcauliff » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:47 pm

Only Congress can end all restrictions on travel, but on January 21 President Obama can use his authority to provide general (no need to apply) licenses for twelve categories of non-tourist travel including family (Cuban American), educational, humanitarian, religious, sports, culture, and ‚Äúsupport for the Cuban people‚ÄĚ.

If he also did away with the special status of Travel Service Providers, any American agent or tour operator could work with local groups to organize non-tourist travel.

While 2/3 of Americans, including of Cuban Americans,and virtually every country in the world, would approve, he is under lots of pressure from the hard liners in Miami not to do even this.

A simple way to make your opinion heard is to sign our on line letter at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/obamacuba/

Even better, if you know anyone among his personal advisers or in the transition team, ask by phone or e-mail that Cuba be addressed quickly and boldly.

Here’s the transition team list
http://obamacuba.blogspot.com/2008/12/o ... ed-to.html
John McAuliff
Executive Director
Fund for Reconciliation and Development www.ffrd.org
jfmcauliff

Return to Cuba Travel Forum