Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Scuba Diving Holguin

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Scuba Diving Holguin

Postby Pinhead » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:48 pm

My wife and I just booked a two-week vacation at the Blau Coste Verde in Holguin in Feb. We are both scuba divers and I am wondering what to expect, such as cost, recommended dive charters and locations, etc.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Pinhead

Diving at the Blau

Postby Gambitt » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:24 am

Hi there...

Diving at the Blau, is great... I was just there last Tuesday. The price is 30 CUC for one dive, but they have packages for multiple dives and 10 dives, is 230 CUC. There are 3 dives daily, 9am (very deep) 11am (80-90 ft.) and 2pm (shallow dive).

A couple of dives not to miss are La LLanita, Corona de Vita, and the Tunnel (all mid-depth dives). There is a board at the shop which shows all the dive locations....

Head over to the shop (to the right, as you enter the beach, past the disco) as soon as you get there, and talk with the guys at the shop. They will help you select the days/dives that are right for you.

Diving with these guys is great. Arrive early for your dive times, as there is a full diver's meeting before every dive... we are going here, to this depth, using these hand signals, and arrange buddies ...

As far as the dives, the guys take great care of you in the water.. Last dive I did, We had 3 dive masters for a group of 9 divers so you are never far from help, if you need it.

Post dive - The dive shop has tanks to rinse your gear, a storage room, if you want to leave stuff there (don't reccomend leaving your reg/computer, but BC and wetsuit for sure) , for the next dive, and showers to rinse off. Make sure you ask the guys to stamp you log book.. They have their own stamps, and it looks cool in your log book!

I've been diving with these guys, for the last 3 years, and have never been disappointed...

If I've missed anything, please let me know here.

Have a great "diving" time!

Gambitt
Gambitt

scuba diving Holguin

Postby Pinhead » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:47 pm

Allright Gambitt, thanks very much. I am so looking forward to it.
Pinhead

diving in holguin

Postby diverboy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:09 pm

My son who is 15 has completed the 2 day beginner course for diving and would like to become certified in cuba. we are going to the grand playa turquesa in holguin and I would like to know how difficult it is to arrange and the cost. we are leaving on the 18th of march.
diverboy

Scuba Diving Holguin

Postby Pinhead » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:20 am

Hi Diverboy, I'm afraid I won't be much help to you. We stayed at the Blau Costa Verde which had a Dive shop on site. I never caught the prices for open water certification as I was already certified, but it won't be cheap considering they charge 40CUC (approx $50)for one dive. However the dives get progressively cheaper when you buy more. Im not entirely confident the grand playa turquesa has a dive shop on site, so you may have to take a taxi to another resort. If you are PADI instructed, I heard rumours that they won't certify the open water as it is American affilated. Hopefully I am wrong on that. Perhaps another reader will post further clarity on these points. If I find additional info, I will post it here.
Pinhead

scuba

Postby Canuks » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:49 am

There is no PADI but you will find NAUI and SSI.

Also, being Cuba, you will not get night dives.(that we have found)

It was a few years ago that we were in Holguin, so this might be different now but, for fin rentals they had VERY few larger men's sizes. Hubbie (size 13) now always takes his fins along with our gear.
Canuks

Re: diving in holguin

Postby Gambitt - forgot to login » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:30 pm

diverboy wrote:My son who is 15 has completed the 2 day beginner course for diving and would like to become certified in cuba. we are going to the grand playa turquesa in holguin and I would like to know how difficult it is to arrange and the cost. we are leaving on the 18th of march.

There is no dive shop, at the Turquesa, but it is a 5 CUC cab ride, over to the Blau/PCV dive shop. Have the Gaviota desk, phone over to book you dives, and before you leave the Turquesa, to make sure the dive is "on" for the day.

Canuks note about equipment is still valid. They have good rental gear, in the normal sizes, but might be pressed for special stuff.

And, you can arrange a night dive with them. It is by "appointment/arrangement" only, so you'll need to find other divers who are interested.
Gambitt - forgot to login

Sorry!

Postby Gambitt » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:33 pm

That is me above.. forgot to log in first.
Gambitt

Return to Cuba Travel Forum