Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Coralia Club Playa de Oro, Varadero, Cuba

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Postby JIMBO » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:33 pm

Hi everyone, you were all so helpful with my first topic I was wondering if anyone has had first hand knowledge of this resort and may have some helpful hints. We are leaving the end of January for a week, have never been to Cuba and not sure what to expect. Our travels in the Carribean area has been limited to the Mayan Riviera ( Mexico). Looking forward to a new experience.
Thanks JIMBO!
JIMBO

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:59 am

Hi Jimbo, I have not been to this resort but travel between Mayan Riviera and Cuba and love Varadero. Be sure to take a ride in the little yellow taxis, these are usually driven by women and run on 3 wheels, you sit behind the driver. They are a blast, they run up and down the highway all the time. There is also a double decker bus you can ride all over the place, pay one price and get off and on at will. The Dupont Estate is worth seeing, and there is a public park in town that is wonderful to walk or ride a bike around, it is fenced and gated and their was a "guard" posted out front but it is all pomp and pagentry because you are very welcome and very safe inside the park. If you haven't already done this take a insulated mug for your drinks and remember the Cuban people are very poor and really appreciate any gift given them. There is an old church downtown and they appreciate any donations of used clothing because they can get it to the people who really need it. Enjoy!
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Postby JIMBO » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:38 pm

Thanks Elizabeth
That all sounds like great advice,Thanks a bunch.
I have no feel for what we should bring as items to give to the room service people or any other residents we might bump into. Any suggestions?
I have heard that the staff at the resorts like items instead of money as tips...True or False?
JIMBO

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:48 pm

Boy, a list, long and varied. Anything, really anything, sanitary products, Advil or tylenol, bandages, crayons, gum, anything you can think of. The wait staff and room staff get lots, try to remember the service staff, gardners, pool maintinance staff etc. There is always someone expecting on the resort or has a wife who is expecting, so baby products wipes, talc, vaseline. We saw a little girl last year in town with her eraser on a string around her neck like a necklace, apparently they are given one for the school year, so school supplies. Money tips are welcomed and appreciated, please don't give them coins like loonies or twoonies. The banks won't take them. We had people approach us at the airport to trade their coins for bills. You will see in the stores that prices are very high and supply is very low so I think giving an actual item is better.
Hope this helps
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Me again, candy, we gave several of the gardeners gum and they were so thankful, work gloves, measuring tapes, we had a favorite waiter last year in Cayo Coco and one day we gave him a bag of nail polish, lipstick, hair clips eyeshadow etc. for his wife who was 17 years old and expecting their first child, he said, while blushing, that after she tried everything they had a wonderful evening, something they hadn't had in a while. I could go on and on but we have found that they are grateful for any and all gifts. We are trying to decide between Varadero and Mayan Riviera for April for 5 adults and 5 kids so when you come back please post a review, I am interested to hear your comments,
Thank-you
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Veradero or Mayan Riviera...HMMM!

Postby JIMBO » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:16 pm

Elizabeth
My, My, My...what a choice you have. I will try to remember to let you know about Veradero when we return, but I will say somthing about the Riviera.....FABULOUS!!!!
It depends what you are looking for, but if a small resort that is rated 3 stars but as far as I am concerned is a 4, is up your alley please take a long look at the ABR ( Akumal Beach Resort ).
I will start out with what its weakest points are, entertainment from staff, the animation staff are young and not extremely talented. The rest of the resort is great, if snorkelling is something that interests the crew....OH MY HEAVENS! Best in the world. You get a coral reef approx. 1 - 1.5 kms off shore, between you and the outer reef are turtles, cuttlefish(squid sort of),fish of all sizes and colors, etc, etc,like being in a giant aquarium, you can actually walk out to your waste and the yellow tangs and pencil fish come to you.
The resort is about a 10 minute walk in white/pink sand in your bare feet to a small mexican village (Akumal). There is an ecological center there that have people from all over the world researching the fantastic turtle breeding areas. There are shops, scuba center( also one on the resort offering everything), fishing boats that can be rented as you walk down the beach. As you can tell I was impressed, we would have gone back this year if I hadn't won this trip ( free..can't beat the price.LOL)
I had better stop now, I will attempt to compare when we return, it will have to be good to match ABR.If you decide to tackle the Mayan Riviera, ask and I can provide some input on things to do, some of the water/ecological parks are amazing.
Cheers and thanks again! : )
JIMBO
JIMBO

Here may be some helpful info, we have stayed at this resort

Postby grobar » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:28 pm

Here is a link to my personal web site with info on this resort. Lots of photos and specific review.

<a href="http://www.robarspages.ca/linksite/insideurl.asp?insideLinkID=449">Coralia Club Playa De Oro Personal Page. (Photos (80+) Review, Varadero Travel Tips)</a>

Enjoy!
grobar

off resort

Postby grobar » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:12 am

did anyone go off the resort? we are thinking of going back if we can justify it with somthing new!
grobar

off resort fun

Postby grobar » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:37 am

okay so i have talked to a few ppl, and the word is, don't go alone, as one couple, but ranther in a big group. I have heard of stories where ppl were approached by domonicans with guns and crazy uniforms
grobar

Return to Cuba Travel Forum