Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

First trip to Cuba - Sol Pelicano Cayo Largo

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

First trip to Cuba - Sol Pelicano Cayo Largo

Postby scratchmyback » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Hello, my husband and I are going Feb 4 for one week. I did a ton of research before I booked the trip through air transat/exit.ca (we are flying westjet). I've read reviews from several of you who've stayed here and I pretty much know everything I need to know except the following:

Are the hotel rooms 110 or 220? I've seen both mentioned. Do the rooms come with hair dryers? This is pretty much the only electrical appliance I would even bring, and if they are supplied I won't bother. Oh and maybe a travel iron.

I have read other reviews where people say to tip a dollar. Do they mean a $1 CUC? Anybody know what the exchange rate is for CDN - CUC at the moment? Is it worth the hassle to take $US ? I seem to think not. Can we bring $CDN travellers cheques? (as long as they're not AMEX travellers cheques, right?)

I've already made a list of non-monetary gifts to take to leave for the maids, etc which I am more than happy to do. If there's something any of you can think of that I should bring to leave behind, more than something else, please let me know.

I think that's it. We are so looking forward to our very first trip to Cuba (been to Mexico 6 times, all over & DR once).

Scratch
scratchmyback

Postby Bigjohn » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:02 am

Hi scratchmyback
Can't help with the voltage question, but for money, a tip of 1 CUC is good for most things around a resort.
Don't bother with travellers cheques, just take cash. Canadian cash. There is a 10% or more penalty to use US $. There can be a lot of hassles trying to cash T.C.'s.
The exchange rate floats of course, but if you look at the rate to buy American $ with Can $, that is about the same as the CUC rate.
As to the non-monetary gifts, anything you take will be appreciated. Some female travellers have told me that fem. hyg products are almost non-existent so they are a good gift for maids. Groundskeepers can always use razors, gloves, hats, lip balm, and anything you would want if you were working in that sun all day.
Enjoy your trip and please write a review when you return.
Thanks.
Bigjohn.
Bigjohn

Postby scratchmyback » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:07 pm

Thanks Bigjohn that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, you have been most helpful. I will definitely write a review when I return.

Scratch
scratchmyback

Postby sapo » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:44 pm

Both 110/220v outlets and hair dryier are available in rooms.
sapo

Postby scratchmyback » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:44 pm

Thank you Sapo.

Now my husband wants to know how likely it is he will be able to catch the Superbowl from the resort?

Any ideas about that one !
scratchmyback

Return to Cuba Travel Forum