Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

1st Trip To Cuba

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

1st Trip To Cuba

Postby Ann » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:10 am

Travel to Cuba on the 16th Feb, for 2wks have booked the National De Cuba hotel in Havana for 3nights & 11nights in the Tryp Peninsula Varadero. Has anyone any tips regarding - Mosquitos? is there many this time of year? Exchange Rates etc and where to exchange currency i've read the Airport but im sure the hotels are the same?... If you have any tips please let me know!!!
Ann

First trip

Postby K » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:15 pm

Hey I just got back from my 28th trip and I can tell you....Watch you luggage in Jose Marti Airport, they are MAFIA in Havana Airport. Exchange, I found just as good if not better rates in the resorts, aprox. 76-77CUC on the hun. You will have alot of fun in Varadero.
K

Mosquito's????

Postby Ann » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:54 am

When you say watch your luggage at the airport? is this on arrival or departing or both? could you explain a little?
Also did you find a lot of mosquito's in Varadero Resorts? Im worried sick that it will ruin my Vacation if the resort is full of them and I'd rather try and reschedule they really bit me bad!!!!!
Ann

Mosquitos in Varadero

Postby Molly » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:05 pm

I'm also prone to mosquito bites, and I was severely bitten last April while inside the lobby at the Barcelo Solymar. None of the other 3 people travelling with me were bitten...just me. My advice to you is to take lots of afterbite. I used Deep Woods Off as well as Off Skintastic, and they bit right through it...I will tell you that I had no problems during the daytime. We usually sat at the lobby bar in the evenings and there were many mosquitos due to the abundance of greenery inside the lobby.
Molly

First trip

Postby K » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:50 pm

As for the luggage...Both Jose Marti airport lost my kids luggage going in and there gate checked stroller going out. The luggage was found 1 week later at Holguin airport and the stroller is still lost in action. Mosquitos were bad in Varadero a week ago when I was there but then again they like me.
K

Return to Cuba Travel Forum