Moderator: Bigjohn

Lap Top's

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:30 pm

What kind of Customs problems am I in for bringing my Laptop into Cuba
Thank's
Dave
Dave

Postby YVR » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:10 pm

I've never had problems bringing my laptop to Cuba.

Dave:- What problems were you anticipating?
YVR

Postby CanuckMark » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:50 pm

I went through this last month - I brought mine along (a relatively new one) and didn't have much trouble. On arrival, I was "pulled over" and they simply looked at it, then wanted to see the hotel itinerary info. I suppose they wanted to make sure I was only staying for a week and that it was going back with me.

One word of caution - when I did my enquiries I was told by the Cuba Tourist Board in Toronto that if the laptop has a DVD drive it is considered a no-no as anything video-playback-related is considered illegal. Mine has such a drive but I had no issues there, as others I've talked to. The problem I have with that rule is that technically camcorders are illegal, but they are never stopped. *shrugsshoulders*

As an extra measure, be sure to register the laptop with Canada Customs and get the green reg form.

Mark
CanuckMark

Postby YVR » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:45 pm

Good point CanuckMark.
We also have our laptop and all camera equipment registered on the green Canada Customs form. Saves time, headaches and suspicions that you may be intending to leave your equipment behind as a "gift".
YVR

Return to Cuba Travel Forum