Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Arenas Blancas

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Arenas Blancas

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:14 pm

Does anyone have an opion on this resort. Any info would be appreciated.Thank you
Elizabeth

Postby nkelly » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:25 pm

Hi Elizabeth!
This reviews for this hotel are all over the map. We stayed here in April 2005 and were disappointed. There are lots of reviews posted on tripadvisor but again, they vary dramatically. I would not rate this hotel more than 3 stars at best. It depends on what is important to you, what your idea of a "good" hotel involves. We love the beach and know that Varadero does not disappoint. We thought the food was terrible (the beach restaurant was a total DISGRACE to the point of being an embarassment), the buffet was OK. We upgraded twice for lobster at the a la carte restaurant and it was excellent. The service at the a la carte was fantastic. We ordered Mojitos but they did not have the mint. The waiter went out of his way to get some and my Mum enjoyed her first mojito....after that she was hooked. So, you see, it depends. The rooms were hit and miss. Our room was fine but my mum's was ant infested (not ground level and side by side rooms ????}. I think you can book a better hotel at similar prices.
nkelly
nkelly

Arenas Blancas

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:28 am

NKelly please give me some suggestions, we stayed at Barcelo Solymar and saw Blancas and were not impressed, but there are some good prices and I am trying to put together a trip for 5 adults and 5 kids cheaply. Some reviews raved but our impression stuck so I wasn't excited about the resort. Thank you for your help.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Postby nkelly » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:56 am

Hi Elizabeth!
We also stayed at the Solymar and liked it much more than the AB. It was great for the kids (aged 4 and 8 at the time) and the beach in front is very wide (as you know LOL). Did you not have a good time at the Solymar? We have stayed at the Bella Costa and the Melia Las Americas and I would return to either of these resorts. It is my opinion that the best part of Varadero beach is in front of the Bella Costa which is an Iberostar property. You will certainly pay a bit more but it will be worth the upgrade from the AB. Years ago (20) on our first visit we stayed at the Tuxpan but I'm sure LOTS has changed since then! Truth be told I am not overly impressed with any of the properties in Varadero. I find the food below standard in general. We prefer Cayo Largo or Cayo Coco and would opt for those destinations before Varadero. Have you considered the Tryp Cayo Coco, your children would have a blast, it sits on a great beach, the pool is very nice, it's a very active but not over-bearing resort and we have always enjoyed the food. Anxiously awaiting your reply.
nkelly
nkelly

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:26 am

Thank you nkelly, it was just my husband and I at Solymar and we did enjoy it. We really liked walking into town. Want to be able to show the kids a bit of Cuban everyday life. Stayed at ElSenador last April and loved it, but, found there was nothing to do off the resort. We did go to Moron. What about Cayo Largo, what are your suggestions?
Thanks again
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Postby nkelly » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:24 pm

Hi Elizabeth!
Cayo Largo is quieter than Coco. There are only a handful of hotels, no town, just gorgeous stretches of beach. On Coco, we also stayed at the senador and liked it the least (we stayed at tryp x 3 times and the Melia Cayo Coco). Much more fun at the tryp especially for kids. How about returning to the solymar with the kids or is the price unrealistic?
The town of varadero is a nice place for a walk so I understand where you are coming from. Travelling with kids is a different ball game isn't it?
nkelly
nkelly

Postby YVR » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:52 am

Elizabeth,

You'll find that Cayo Largo is even more remote than Cayo Coco. Have you considered the Holguin/ Guardalavaca area of Cuba? Several resorts there would be good choices for family vacations.
YVR

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:37 am

Please give me some resort reviews for Holguin how close are they to town? Any suggestions on side trips.
Thank-you both for your responses, this new forum doesn't seem to have the same Life that the old one did.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Postby YVR » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:59 pm

Elizabeth,

For the Guardalavaca area, I suggest you look at the Atlantico Complex, especially the newest section which I think they now call Tropical. The Club Amigo complex is like three resorts in one. It's rated 3+ star and is excellent value for the $$. It's also close to town. Our daughter has stayed at this resort and loved it.

Playa Pesquero is a very large resort at 944 rooms but is popular with many. On the same beach as the Pesquero resort are the Playa Costa Verde resort (formerly Breezes) and Blau Costa Verde (formerly LTI). The Blau offers a free excursion into Guardalavaca which is about 14 kilometers away. Closeby on Esmeralda Beach is the 5 star Paradisus which although not adults only, tends to get a lot of honeymooner/couples clientele. Next to the Paradisus is the Sol Luna Mares Resort which is better suited to families. The Grand Playa Turquesa is most remote on a beach of it's own and the outstanding feature at this resort are the swimming pools. The Kid's Club there is amazing- like a little resort with a resort. We have personally stayed at the Playa Turquesa.
To get to any of these resorts, it's about a one hour bus ride from Holguin airport.

Yes, sadly this forum is much less active than it used to be. You can also find good reviews of these resorts and many others at Debbie's website or at Tripadvisor. Link for Tripadvisor is at the left hand side of the screen.

You might also want to start a new thread for other resorts that interest you to catch more attention. More recently, Arenas Blancas has become a popular resort for the young party crowd. We stayed there many years ago and it was great then, but it needs some renovation work these days. We've also stayed at the Barcelo Solymar.
YVR

Arenas Blancas

Postby K » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:21 pm

I just stayed there in January, and after everything I heard here in the forum I was so scared. We had a great time and it was a great hotel. The staff were good, the shows where good and the food is the same everywhere in Cuba (NOT BAD).
K

Postby nkelly » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:31 pm

Hi K,
Regarding the food, I have to politely disagree. I find the food on properties in Varadero to be poor while I find the quality of food at the hotels on cayo coco and cayo largo to be above par. I'm not certain if it is a Sol Melia thing because the food, IMO, at these cayo hotels has been very good. At this point, I will select the cayos over varadero because IMO the standards are higher.
nkelly
nkelly

Return to Cuba Travel Forum