Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Welcome beta testers -

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Postby YVR » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:17 pm

Okay, registered and ready to go.
Anthony, are you planning to run the Cuba forums in both formats parallel to one another for a while? What exactly do you have in mind?
Is this beta version supposed to be for serious users only because we opted to register?
YVR

Postby Anthony » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:26 pm

For a little while maybe, but if this thing holds up then we are going to transition over here pretty quickly. All users are going to have to register to post - if you just want to browse you don't have to register.
Anthony
Site Admin

Postby YVR » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:17 pm

Well in that case, I'd say the sooner you shut down the old forum the better- for everyone!
To be honest I'm not crazy about this new format, but that's because I'm still trying to figure things out and where things are. I'm sure I'm not the only one but if it means a huge reduction in the nonsense we had before, I'll try to be a real "quick study". Others who participate in many different forums would be in a better position to give feedback. Personally, I like the format offered by proboards.com
Just give me a bit of time and I'll get used this new version too. You can teach old dogs new tricks!
And thanks Anthony! You really did listen to us and keep your promise!
YVR

Postby Anne M. » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:32 pm

I'm registered and ready to go! This format is very similar to the one used for the Cayo Largo forum. Looks good to me so far, thanks Anthony!

I understand that posts may be lost, but how about registration information?
Anne M.

Postby Anthony » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:10 am

It is possible but I doubt it - the info is stored in a data base now, so I should be able to keep it, but you never know with computers!
Anthony
Site Admin

Postby LisaB » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:48 am

Hi I'm registered now too. Figured I better before someone else registers with my handle ha.

Ok well it will take getting use to; but I do prefer the other format because I like seeing all topics on one page and I find it's easier to follow threads and participate. However I guess this format can have it's advantages; eg you really don't know what's going on (meaning the cat fights) for every topic unless you select that topic; and I guess threads won't push down to archives as quickly either; but then again if it's like Debbies (format) then old topics can become active over and over when it recieves more postings; which in some cases is good; and in others no good (again the cat fights).

Ok not sure it that makes sense to anyone LOL, you know it's hard to explain things on email and forums.

Oh I see there is no subject in the subject box; so am I to type in a new one or will the subject I'm replying to be included? Well I guess I'll find out when I hit sumbit :) I do like the edit option (for typos lol).

Thanks!
LisaB
LisaB

Postby Anthony » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:13 am

"but I do prefer the other format because I like seeing all topics on one page"

You will see all the topics on one page, but not all the whole thread - just the number of views and replies. There is only one topic now, that is why you don't see more...

PS I also answered you on the other forum.
Anthony
Site Admin

Beta Test

Postby Rod » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:01 pm

Anthony,
Ok, but a little more complicated for the novice. It is the way to keep out spam or flaming posts. Good luck,
Rod
Rod

Postby LisaB » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:27 pm

Anthony, I guess I didn't explain myself right; what I mean is I like seeing a topic and 'all it's threads'; it's just a personal preferance. I particiapte on a few other forums including Microsoft Frontpage (I also know webdevelopment). Some are this style and some your old style (that I prefer).

Weeding out the bad posters will require a moderator I guess or someone on your end that has the time to babysit! The crap goes-on on all boards not just yours lol. I hope this new format works out well; it's a great site. I enjoy reading info. Having only been to Cuba 2x now (recently this year) I don't have a lot of info like some of the Cuba travellers; but when I can I reply; and ask questions when I'm researching. I've been visiting your forum since 2002. Keep up the good work! I really like the resort review section.

You should apply restrictions (in your development) which will really only weed out obsenities. Maybe post a 'user beware' and delete personal attacks only and not personal opinions.

Thanks!
LisaB

Count me in

Postby miranda » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:03 pm

I like the registration idea. everything is great and easy to get around in. just another board to get used to but I hope more people sign up.
miranda

Postby LisaB » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:50 pm

Maybe they could make the fonts a bit bigger. Wonder when they will shut down the other board? Not sure which one to use lol.

Enjoy!
LisaB

Postby Anthony » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:05 am

FYI on most web browsers you can increase the font size yourself if you are having difficulty reading what you see on the screen.
Anthony
Site Admin

Return to Cuba Travel Forum