the West Indies
$12.95

Attention all parents!

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Attention all parents!

Postby bellabeach » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:23 pm

Hi,

We are traveling to Cuba (not sure of the hotel yet...maybe the BARCELO SOLYMAR) April 1st.
We have an 8 month old......I was just wondering what you packed......that worked and what you didn't need to bring.......
DO the hotels have microwaves to heat food? or what did you use to do so?
Any other great tips you might that you would like to share would be helpful!!
ALSO......any packing ideas.......So much stuff to bring ......I'm sure it will be overweight .....will I be charged??
I heard if you bring a hard covered golf bag you can pack the heavier things in there (but you have to bring a few clubs so that it looks like you are 'going to golf'......not sure if this really works..any other packing 'secrets'?)
Thanks!

Added:
What about cribs & baby friendly resoprts?
We are thinking about bringing our playpen....should we evern bother?
bellabeach

Postby nkelly » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:23 pm

Hi bella!
We stayed at the BSM and they do not have microwaves in the rooms. I'm not to sure of the hotels in Cuba that offer a micro in the room and I have stayed on 12 different properties. You will be charged for over-weight luggage. The rate per kilo over will depend on the airline but aim for $ 7 / kilo over. I have not traveled with an 8 month old baby but have traveled with a 7 year old and we were able to keep it underweight. Maybe someone here can answer about diapers, baby food etc.... We have a "crock pot" that plugs in and we can boil water so maybe investing in something similar will help you to warm bottles (available at Walmart or Canadian Tire). Please post any questions you may have. We were not entirely happy with the BSM but it does get consistent good reviews so I imagine you will have a good time. Cuba is wonderful so enjoy!
nkelly
nkelly

Re: Attention all parents!

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:21 pm

[quote="bellabeach"]Hi,

HORRIBLE!!! SUNWING ruined my only vacation.... can you imagine they kept switching days and times for my departure... finally they decided on a day but switched from flying direct to Cuba from Ottawa to Ottawa-Cancun-Cuba... AN EXTRA 5 HOUR FLIGHT!!!! I went direct because of my 2 year old daughter... brutal!! We arrived later and my hotel room was sold... horrible!! Never fly sunwing!!
Tim

Postby bellabeach » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:05 pm

nkelly!
Thanks for your suggestions!!
Oh I hope I like it there!! lol!! We JUST booked!

Tim.......
and we JUST BOOKED with SUNWING!!! OH NO!!
Thanks for our input!
bellabeach

Postby YVR » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:51 am

Hi Bella,

We stayed at the Barcelo Solymar a few years ago when they first opened. Hope you enjoy your vacation there as well.

At the Plaza de Americas shopping complex there is a grocery store which sold things like diapers and baby foods. I have no idea what the prices or brands were.
If you're planning to bring an electric bottle warmer, make sure you also buy the proper foreign voltage converter as the voltage at the Solymar resort is 220V.

I wouldn't bother with a playpen. Many resorts offer cribs and if requested in advance, it may already be in your room upon arrival.
YVR

Postby miranda » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:59 pm

Thanks for the heads-up that you will be at that particular resort with a one year old.
miranda

Return to Cuba Travel Forum