Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

You're so WRONG!

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

You're so WRONG!

Postby Iriemon » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:53 pm

It seems that a little head-butting, and some animosity makes for a more lively site.

This joint has gone sleepy since the change.

So, what's better? Anonymity and spice, or what we have now? I was amused by the no-name cowards before: my game was to guess whom they were.

I kinda miss the old fire, to tell the truth.

You?

Irie
Iriemon

Has the power gone to my head?

Postby Bigjohn » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:31 pm

Perhaps Iriemon is correct!?
I have removed a couple of inappropriate postings hoping to keep this board travel related. Have I done wrong? Do people want this board to be more....political?, controversial?, advertising? (come stay at my casa in Havana) type?... or What?
I can't post all the answers or questions so I need your help. I'm getting a complex here folks. It was a great board before I was (elected, appointed, nominated, volunteered?) moderator.
What do you want me to do?
What can we do together? (not you and me Irie, but everyone else)
Lets get busy!
Bigjohn.
Bigjohn

Snooze......

Postby Steve-YYZ » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:38 am

One of the biggest problems with this board is the lack of ability to post graphics, photos or even hotlinks to spice up the content and convey additional information.

It's like watching a 19" black and white TV vs a large screen Plasma display. Yes, content is important, but so is presentation and viewing enjoyment.

As to the slam-dunking of other posters, well sorry, I'm not going there! Ask Guest!!!

Steve
Steve-YYZ

Postby nkelly » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:15 pm

Hello!
I miss the fun of the old board and cannot understand why things have changed so dramatically. I agree that at times things got out of hand but at least there were lots of new threads to read each day and things progressed with answers / comments that were on-going. I do not care much about graphics etc (personally) but maybe that does affect why others are no longer here. I had fun guessing who was who but when things got ugly with name calling and insults it was no longer much fun. It is evident that alot of the "oldies" do check in and even post as we have witnessed in the last day alone for example. Maybe if some decent topics are posted things would liven up but I doubt it and it's too bad.
nkelly
nkelly

Postby Canuks » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:01 am

Big John ...to answer your question

I used this forum a lot in the beginning of my travels to Cuba. Then some of the users got really unpleasent to read. The truth is I found a friendlier forum and stayed there. If I am looking for vacation information the last thing I wanted to read was people slamming each other.

I have visited the site a bit over the past month and was shocked how slow the board was moving to what I had experienced previously.

I like the the newer format and the postings that I have read are a lot more civil. I will try to log in more for a while and see how it goes.
Canuks

Sunwing

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:21 pm

HORRIBLE!!! SUNWING ruined my only vacation.... can you imagine they kept switching days and times for my departure... finally they decided on a day but switched from flying direct to Cuba from Ottawa to Ottawa-Cancun-Cuba... AN EXTRA 5 HOUR FLIGHT!!!! I went direct because of my 2 year old daughter... brutal!! We arrived later and my hotel room was sold... horrible!! Never fly sunwing!!
Tim

Postby miranda » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:10 pm

Sorry to hear bout it (AGAIN) Tim.

Not meaning to be harsh or anything but can your life go on?
miranda

Re: Sunwing

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Tim wrote:HORRIBLE!!! SUNWING ruined my only vacation.... can you imagine they kept switching days and times for my departure... finally they decided on a day but switched from flying direct to Cuba from Ottawa to Ottawa-Cancun-Cuba... AN EXTRA 5 HOUR FLIGHT!!!! I went direct because of my 2 year old daughter... brutal!! We arrived later and my hotel room was sold... horrible!! Never fly sunwing!!

Hmmmm.... Maybe I was wrong.

But it is kind of funny to think about what on Earth the trolls did during "The Special Period" when they wouldn't post because they had to ID themselves in some fashion.

Irie

Postby miranda » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:17 pm

I might begin to re-like this new format. Keep the graphics out. Save that for the other boards. Let the people post what they want. I'm an adult and I can ignore the posts I choose to ignore. I miss the old way, we should be able to post what we want. Why can't we all be grown-ups and ignore the rude and ignorant and use this board as a great travel tool? There used to be lots of great advice on here.

moderator - please don't delete and edit posts. We all have an opinion, let us post them. I'd like to see this forum get going again.
miranda

Postby Bigjohn » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:53 pm

Miranda-
I cannot edit posts, only delete them.
In the 3 months I have been moderating here, I have deleted 6 threads in total. 4 were blatant unpaid advertising attempts, one was ethnically derogatory and one was politically inflammatory.
I too, want to see this board return to its former "glory?" as a useful travel tool. I am not heavy handed with the delete key. There have been fewer posts since registration became a requirement.
Anyone else have suggestions?
Thanks,
Bigjohn.
Bigjohn

Postby miranda » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:44 am

Thanks bigjohn. I didn't really know this site was back and running until recently. Perhaps some of the regular posters could mention it on the other boards they frequent?

Word of mouth can work wonders.
miranda

Postby YVR » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:06 pm

Please, keep the graphics off the forum! Aside from the fact that they slow down loading times for many users who do not have hi speed internet connections, we aren't a bunch of kids needing to be entertained. Some of the graphics I've seen posted in other forums in response to questions, are just plain stupid and/or they don't address the question asked.

I think bigjohn is doing a good job as moderator even if I disagree with one of his recent thread deletions. Academic collaborations involving travel to Cuba are relevant to this forum. Our first trip to Cuba was in fact an academic exchange. Many people are involved in humanitarian efforts to Cuba and such topics are also relevant. It's difficult to find a balance, but when a poster comes here simply to complain or find fault with the contributions of others, but rarely gives legitimate replies to questions posted, then that poster might well find another forum more suited to their needs.

We all "have a life" beyond Cuba forums (at least I think most of us do!) I come here to contribute when I feel I can answer some questions but my time is limited.

This forum will continue to grow and evolve over time. Humour, bantering and a certain level of "friendship" are important ingredients of a good forum, but only when done in a respectful manner. Written words can often be misinterpreted, so if you "mess up, then fess up" and offer an apology.
YVR

Use of Graphics and Photos

Postby Steve-YYZ » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:45 am

As a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words, the appropriate use of photos, graphics, maps etc, adds value and dynamic content to a forum.

I think their use should be encouraged where appropriate. However I will agree that as not everybody is on high-speed internet, high bandwidth type threads should be noted in the subject title or else graphic elements should be sized appropriately.
Steve-YYZ

Return to Cuba Travel Forum