Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Lockers at airport?

Travel & news discussion about CuraƧao

Moderator: els

Lockers at airport?

Postby bunzome » Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am

We will be travelling to Curacao this December, and are planning a few days side trip to Bonaire. Since we will be flying Divi Air and there is a weight restriction on luggage, we will not be able (nor will want) to bring everything with us. Is there a place we can store the excess, say at the airport, that is also secure? Any info is appreciated!

Also, on a side note, we've been reading on the "Bonaire Talk" website of a crime problem (mostly theft). Does anybody know more on this? Is Curacao safer than Bonaire? This will make our third trip to Curacao, and we've never had a problem here, though of course we use common sense and exercise caution.

Thanks! Sara
bunzome

Postby els » Thu May 04, 2006 7:16 am

Hi Sara,

at the present airport building there are no lockers available. Don't know about the new one, nor when exactly this will be in operation (but it should be in December though). Where will you be staying at CuraƧao? It will probably much easier to make arrangements with the hotel or appartment manager to leave your luggage there for a few days.
As to crime on Bonaire: it is a very small island where everybody used to know each other and closing doors and windows when you left your house was not necessary. Due to the expanding tourism business this is no longer the case and in the eyes of the older generation crime has expanded a lot, but placed in international context Bonaire is still much safer as many well-known holiday destinations.
For both CuraƧao and Bonaire indeed it is simply a matter of using common sence: don't leave valuables unattended in your car, don't go wearing gold watches and expensive camera's while visiting poor neigbourhoods, etc etc.
Els
els

lockers/security

Postby bunzome » Thu May 04, 2006 7:37 am

Thanks, Els (as usual :-)) We will be at our timeshare at the Seaquarium, so I'll look into that.

My concern was that I had heard about break-ins in Bonaire at locked condos/resorts while people were asleep, and travelling with two kids (one with autism), I am naturally (perhaps over) protective. I have always felt safe in Curacao, even when exploring the remoter parts of the island, and growing up outside of New York City, I am savvy enough to use proper precautions to deter crime.
bunzome

Postby els » Fri May 05, 2006 6:20 am

Hi,
I know and don't deny it happened, but Bonaire is such a small island, every break-in gets reported in the newspaper. The chances of a break-in happening to you on Bonaire is a lot smaller as running into a donkey with your rental!!!
Els
els

Return to CuraƧao Travel Forum