Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

First Time To Curacao

Travel & news discussion about Curaçao

Moderator: els

First Time To Curacao

Postby Hmooner » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:06 am

I will be visiting Curacao for my honeymoon from late-August to early-September. I thought I might ask some travel advice.

1. Thanks for the restaurant list. That will definitely be accompanying us on our honeymoon. If you had to pick the single best restaurant to experience local cuisine, where would that be (whether it's a five-star restaurant or a take-out place or both!)? How about the single best restaurant for Dutch cuisine, if there is one? Other recommendations for cultural dining?

2. I'm staying at both the Hotel and the Lodge Kura Hulanda. I'm definitely renting a car for the stay at the Lodge, but would you recommend that we have a car when we stay at the Hotel?

3. I've already got the OK from my fiance to watch one American college football game during our honeymoon. It airs on ESPN2. Do you know of a sports bar on the island where I could catch the game?

Thanks so much!
Hmooner

Postby els » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:16 am

Hi Honeymooners,
you've chosen two great hotels to make your honeymoon very special!
as to the car: you won't need one as long as you stay in the center of Willemstad (Punda and Otrobanda), either for shopping or dining there are enough possibilities within walking distance.
as to the best place for typical local cuisine: the central marketplace at Punda. Don't be fooled by appearance, it is clean and safe. Even bankdirectors and Dutch ministers have lunch there! Usually they don't have a pricelist, be sure to ask the price beforehand. It should be somewhere between $ 5 and $ 7 pp.
The Jacob's bar at Kura Hulanda Hotel has happy hour from 5 -7 and a nice tapas bar and paella, ideal if you don't feel like going to a restaurant for diner.
it is difficult to choose one restaurant that's the best. There is the Wine Cellar which offers a nice 5 course dinner for a reasonable price which makes it a nice place if you like to spend a relaxed evening dining and 'wining' without bankrupting yourself. The only disadvantage is the location: no nice sea- or townview.
Astrolab and Le Clochard are great restaurants, but expensive. There is also Fort Nassau, good food and great view. And there is Larousse, a small, cozy restaurant at Pietermaai in a historic building but again now view.
As to the sportsbar, can't tell but check with the Kura Hulanda Hotel if you can't get ESPN on your tv in your room!
Els
els

Thanks!

Postby Hmooner » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:49 pm

Els, That's great information! Thanks so much. I can't wait to try the food at the market.

Cheers!
Hmooner

Return to Curaçao Travel Forum