Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Best local restaurants and beaches??

Travel & news discussion about Curaçao

Moderator: els

Best local restaurants and beaches??

Postby kskis2 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:39 am

We are finally visiting for the first time in October after a failed attempt last year. We are very excited and want to find good local cuisine(Jaanchi's? , etc.??) and and Indonesian. What We are looking for reasonable prices.
Also, what beaches would you recommend being the best for scenery, seclusion, white sand and snorkeling. We are also interested in a topless one if possible. Thanks in advance!
And last but not least..... there any sailboat charters that you like most? We would like to day trip to Klein Curacao if possible. Thanks so much!
kskis2

Postby els » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:45 am

(We are finally visiting for the first time in October after a failed attempt last year. We are very excited and want to find good local cuisine(Jaanchi's? , etc.??) and and Indonesian. What We are looking for reasonable prices).

There is an Asian buffet at Kura Hulanda (Otrobanda) every Thursday (you need to make reservations several days in advance) which is very reasonably priced. Every Wednesday there is an Indonesian buffet at Boathouse, at the moment the hottest restaurant (you need a car and very specific directions to find this place, though). Good local cuisine you'll find at the Central Market in Punda (lunch only). Don't be fooled by its appearance: it is safe to have lunch there, lots of important businessman and even politicians working in Punda visit the place. It is also a very nice ambiance to experience the 'colore locale'.

(Also, what beaches would you recommend being the best for scenery, seclusion, white sand and snorkeling. We are also interested in a topless one if possible. Thanks in advance!)

I am a big fan of Porto Marie beach: quiet (no loud music), lots of shade, a nice and inexpensive bar/restaurant/terrace, facilities like toilets, shower and rental of snorklinggear, good snorkling (there is a special snorkling trail) and safe. They charge a small entrance fee, which include a soft drink. Rental of beach chairs possible. Also the Lagun beach is worth a visit: it is a public (no entrance fee) beach, situated between two high cliff walls and great snorkling along those walls. It is a cozy beach, but less suitable for topless (officially even forbidden on public beaches). There are less facilities (no beach chairs, simple snack which sells drinks and fries etc. the owner also manages the toilets/showers).

(And last but not least..... there any sailboat charters that you like most? We would like to day trip to Klein Curacao if possible. Thanks so much!)

the Insulinde, Bounty and Mermaid offer boattrips to Klein Curacao. The Insulinde is a metal sailingship (which mostly uses its engine), the Bounty is a 'pirate of the Carribean type' wooden sailing ship, the Mermaid an old metal motor ship. The last offers the best facilities on Klein Curacao itself, though. They have a beach house with toilets and showers, lots of shade, beachchairs and parasols (be careful for sunburn, also on the trip to the island!!!!!)

Have fun!
Els
els

Thanks and...

Postby kskis2 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:15 pm

You have provided a world of info. Thanks so much, Els. We really appreciate it. After reading a little on my own, before you response, I had star'd Port Marie and Lagun as to beaches worth the visit.
One or two other questions, if I may...

In your opinion, is Hook's Hut or Janchee's worth a visit? I also have read good things about Small World restaurant. Finally, are you saying that topless sunbathing is forbidden or illegal? I was a little confused on your reply. If just forbidden or frowned upon, where can we go safely?
Thanks again for everything. We are looking forward to our trip!
kskis2

Postby els » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Hi,
lets start with the last question: the law forbids topless sunbathing on public beaches (those who don't charge an entrance fee, like Lagun, Knip, Daaibooi), but I have never seen or heard of police taking action against it. But I have seen topless tourists being stared at by a group of young, giggling Antillian boys age 8-12, and quickly put on the top again.....
At private beaches like Porto Marie topless is no problem.
A friend of mine has visited Small World twice, she didn't think much of it, but to be honest she is very demanding or should I say: used to a higher quility restaurant. Can't speak from own experience. Jaanchi's seems to have a new owner, don't know how the service is today. Part of the charm of the place was Jaanchi himself, who could tell many a local tale to his guests.
Hook's Hut is a nice place, not a star restaurant like Sjalotte, Fort Nassau, Le Clochard etc., but an ideal place for a friendly, comfortable and relaxing diner at the beach. It is definately worth a visit, perhaps after an afternoon at the beach....
Els
els

Postby Tedly » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:28 pm

Hi kskis2. Some more input. Hooks Hut was nice and as Els said not a star restaurant but worth a visit. If you want a table right on the beach make sure to make reservations. They looked less than accomodating when I told them that we didn't have reservations. We ended up with a table back off the beach. I found Porto Marie beach to be quite busy, so if you want to people watch then it's the place to be. If you are looking for more quiet and scenic beach, I definately would plan a stop at Groot Knip. this is a very nice sandy beach with beautiful colours in the water. Enjoy!
Tedly

Postby els » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:06 pm

Hi Tedly,
I was wondering if I should ad the info about Porto Marie, but it is also a popular beach with locals and indeed very busy on Sundays and school holidays. So plan a visit to this beach if you prefer a more quiet atmosphere in the first half of the week (Monday/Tuesday are the most quiet days).
Els
els

You guys are great!

Postby kskis2 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:57 am

This helps tremendously. Now, all we have to do is get there. As long as the food is good and we have good weather, we will be happy. Any ideas about diving operators or best places to dive? I know, I know...another question. So sue me.:)
kskis2

Postby els » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:27 pm

I am not a diver (scared to death about having so much water above me), so I can't talk from personnal experience, only the one I had with the dive shop at Marriott, who spend most of a Saturday afternoon trying to help me overcome this fear. At the end of the afternoon I was able to snorkle without fear (before I got claustrofobic putting on a diveset even sitting in a beach chair) and managed a dive to a dept of 4-5 meters.
The diveshop at the Lions Dive Hotel (Ocean Encounters) is also well-known. Diveshop Wederfoort at Boca St. Michiel is one of the oldest, the Dutch Royal family dived there. But you'll find diveshops at practically every beach and hotel. There is a wide pricerange too ...
Els
els

Postby Golf&Dive » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:25 pm

Kskis..

When in October will you be in Curacao? We're going to be there (our 4th trip) the 13th thru the 21st.

Where will you be staying?

For Indonesian, try Thai Sawasdee in Otrabana.
Great choices of Thai or Indonesian cuisine. Great service and they have air conditioning which can be a great feeling after a day in the 90 degree sunshine.
Golf&Dive

Postby els » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:16 pm

Hi, the Thai restaurant has moved and is now located in Salina at the former restaurant Indonesia.
Els
els

Postby Golf&Dive » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:48 am

Thanks Els,

Is the mongolian place still there at the old location?

Mark
Golf&Dive

Will be there

Postby kskis2 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:03 am

Oct. 19-26. I had hear that Restaurant Indonesia was good. What about Tu Tu Tango's buffet? Is Boathouse better? I am sure we can pick up some diving info at the airport and I see all the shore diving on the main website. We will only need to rent tanks.
Thanks again for the info. We are looking forward to it!
kskis2

Postby els » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:37 pm

haven't heard anything about the Tu Tu buffet lately. The indonesian lady Tante Sten who originally managed the Wednesday buffet died. Some of the boys of Tu Tu Tango started the Boathouse. They have an Indonesian buffet now too. Don't know if the Mongolian restaurant still exists, it didn't move to Salina at any rate.
Els
els

Postby kskis2 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:34 am

Then, I bet it is good at the Boathouse!! Two months to go and counting!
kskis2

Postby nickis » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:19 pm

Another great site is shorediving.com they give really good directions to all the shore dives on the island, well most of them.
nickis

Next

Return to Curaçao Travel Forum