Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Moving to Curacao

Travel & news discussion about Curaçao

Moderator: els

Moving to Curacao

Postby valligurl » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:43 pm

We really enjoyed our recent visit to Curacao, and are talking about the possibility of retirement there. Or possible buying a home and living there part time and renting it the rest of the time? Any advice? What is it like for Americans living there? Can you own a home, tax issues, etc. Any pros and cons would help in our decision.
valligurl

Postby els » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:51 pm

Hi
have been away on a short holiday myself, hence the late answer.
there are several real estate resorts which are ideal: they offer rental service during the months you won't be using your own home. they are resort like accomodations, so there will be security etc.
I can give you an e-mail adress of someone who can answer questions about tax etc. do mail me, so I can give you some more info: elseline@interneeds.net
Els
els

Postby lambskull » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:12 pm

I bought a home in July after having only discovered Curacao in January! We drove around and saw a billboard for a small development. We chose to finance in the US (the Curacao bank RBTT wanted a life insurance policy as a guarantee in case we died before the mortgage was paid off). We own the house but the land is on a 40-year lease. The government would have to pay us fair market value in the unlikely event that they wanted the land. We are thrilled with our purchase! Sale prices of new houses in the development have incresaed 20 percent since January! Good luck! Sean
lambskull

Return to Curaçao Travel Forum