West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Football CAmp in Puerto Rico

Travel & news discussion about Puerto Rico

Football CAmp in Puerto Rico

Postby KarenS » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:19 am

Dallas Cowboys guard Marco Rivera runs football camp in Puerto Rico, where baseball is traditionally top sport.

Hundreds of kids from across Puerto Rico descended on Ciudad Deportiva Roberto Clemente on Saturday for hours of tackle drills, lifting weights and catching tight spirals.
Come again? Over three decades after the Hall of Fame Pittsburgh outfielder drew up plans for his legacy, "Sports City" - in Clemente's hometown of Carolina - finally is developing into a premier sports complex for the island's youth. And not just for baseball learning.

Dallas Cowboys lineman Marco Rivera held his annual football camp at the complex on Saturday. The Elmont, L.I., product, who was born in Brooklyn and has Puerto Rican roots, is trying to do what might seem unfathomable - grow interest in football on an island known for its rich baseball history.

"Football is growing in Puerto Rico. It didn't exist on island. But I believe football is there to stay," Rivera told the Daily News during a phone interview prior to the camp. "Puerto Rico has great athletes but football is different. Parents are like, 'Oh my God, that's a brutal sport, my kid's going to get hurt.' That's what we're down there to do: Teach the correct way to play."

For the full article go to http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story ... 1092c.html
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

Return to Puerto Rico Travel Forum