the West Indies
$12.95

Beach Plaza

Travel & news discussion about this half French, half Dutch island

Moderator: Tedly

Beach Plaza

Postby LisaB » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:56 am

Hi any comments on this hotel.

What's the beach like. Is it clean and comfortable. Does it require lots or any stairs to the beach and around hotel grounds.

Are there lots of lounge chairs and any shade at beach and pool?

Thanks
LisaB

Postby nkelly » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:54 pm

Hi LisaB!
The "beach" at Beach Plaza is virtually non-existent and not at all typical of the beaches on St. Martin. I am quite familiar with this hotel as I stayed for a few nights after some time in Anguilla and waiting for my parents to arrive is SXM. It is in a great location with regard to downtown Marigot, walking distance to all the shops and the Marina. I'm a beach person but I spent the days by the pool because the water was up to the "wall" and there was no beach. Knowing what I do about some of your likes and dislikes, I would not recommend this hotel to you. The rooms ARE nice but I would not stay long term as it would not provide me with the beach holiday I so look forward to. Take a look at L'Hoste Suites on Orient Bay. They are spacious condo-style accommodations with full kitchen, directly on the beach and within walking distance of some shops and many restaurants. When are you planning on travelling?
Regards,
nkelly
nkelly

Postby Tedly » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:03 pm

When we stayed at the Hotel Plaza the beach was clean but was short of sand. In other words the depth of water deepened very quickly and seating area on the beach had no depth. On the plus side there are few stairs to contend with to get to the beach unless of course you are staying on the second floor. There are scattered palapas offering shade along the beach. The hotel is clean and comfortable with a great location with regards to Marigot and its shopping and dining.
Tedly

Postby LisaB » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:43 pm

Hi guys; thanks for the info. I'm acutally asking for my parents. They've been to St. Martin many times; but haven't been back in over 10 years. They love the island!

Hey Nkelly L'Hoste is the hotel they were looking at but it's booked up till March.

Ok well I'm really not sure which place they are going to book but I thought I'd get some info in the meanwhile.

Thanks again!
LisaB

Postby nkelly » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:01 am

Hi LisaB,
I'm curious to hear your parent's impression of the island after a 10 year absence (if they decide to holiday there). We were quite surprised last year, after a 5 year absence, of how busy the place has become. Lots of people everywhere, all the time it seems and crazy traffic. It has become almost unbearable IMO and it's truly unfortunate because it is beautiful!! Have they been to Barbados or Antigua? Hope you are well!
nkelly
nkelly

Postby LisaB » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:41 pm

Hi nkelly,

Well it's funny because when they first discovered the island maybe 25 years ago they had to fly to New York and go from there; no flights from TO at that time and no one really even heard of the place ha. We were trying to figure out when they were there last; and think closer to 15 years ago. So they are looking forward to going back. But hmmmmm on the driving; as they do love to rent a car and drive all around.

I was there in 2001 for the first time stayed at Maho and really liked the island too and exploring around. I'll get my Mom to post when they get back.

Enjoy!
LisaB

Return to St. Martin - St. Maarten Travel Forum